Adam's Beanstalk

A daily adventure-bag of insights and old bones from an unknown poet in Manitoba's south. Caveat: Not everything is to be taken literally. Things are often shaded with poetic crayons; be the owl. Also, not all these bones are collected from different fields. Find themes that run througout each post and the journal as a whole; the most insignificant event may be part of an ear.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

All I need is a Fork and some Bacon

It read:

Calling All Buskers!
Busker's Festival at the Forks
May 27 & 28

And so I thought, "I can do this!"
I talked to Cody and we planned to take a two man group to the auditions, I playing mandolin, he, guitar.
We were going to practice Friday night, one day before the Festival.
No problem.
We will practice, show up, wait for an audition spot, and hopefully get at least a "B Pass" that will allow us to play outdoors.
Thursday rolls around. I told you I wasn't done with it yet. We are getting excited to take our as of yet unrehearsed show to the world. I take another look at the advertisment. Yes, yes...
Calling All Buskers!
Etc.
Etc.

...blah, blah, blah.
But then I read below.
Call 555-9258 before 4:00PM on May 19 to schedule your audition.

May 19 was last week.
I kick myself for not reading this.
I anticipate getting hit over the head with a guitar.
Then, in a moment of inspiration, I decide to call in to see what strings I could pull.
"Hello", I say "Do you happen to have any more audition slots available?"
No. Sorry. We are packed full. I'll add your name to the waiting list."

The waiting list.
Probably longer than the green mile.
I begin to formulate an excuse I can tell to Cody.
"Uhh... they said they only allow solo acts or groups of over three people"... no... that wasn't going to work.
So I wait. Good thing we didn't practice early!

But something odd happens.
I get a call.
A slot has opened up for 5:10PM on Saturday!
Totally a God thing!

So I go home. We practice past midnight. Saturday we are ready to take on the world.

We walk out of the audition having performed a pretty dolled up version of "You Are My Sunshine", winning the hearts of the octogenarian audience and the votes of the all-female panel of judges. This grants us an "A Pass" and an immediate offer to play during the Kids Fringe Festival. We have a hearty meal at the Old Spaghetti Factory to celebrate.

Watch out people - we are going to take your money!

13 Comments:

At 8:15 p.m., Blogger Chelsea Rae said...

Wow Adam, good on ya! Congrats on the "A-Pass", it sounds elite...

 
At 12:45 a.m., Blogger Rachel said...

Congratulations! These are the things you should tell a person when you pass them on the street :)

 
At 5:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done my friend. See this is why Armin and I want you in our band. A-Pass, I believe the A stands for Awesome

 
At 5:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done my friend. See this is why Armin and I want you in our band. A-Pass, I believe the A stands for Awesome

 
At 10:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

"555-9258" I don't know, that sounds like a phoney number to me. I'm pretty sure your making all this up...for shame. (p.s. not trying to make a pun on 'phoney number')

 
At 3:52 p.m., Blogger Adam Kroeker said...

Apologies:

1)Rachel - Sorry, I tend to forget everything about my future unless I concentrate on it to write blog posts.

2)James - Actually it should be you apologizing for the double post of the same thing.

3)George et al. - The number is a fake. At least the first three digits. Sorry to all you who tried to call their to verify the accuracy of the post.

 
At 3:53 p.m., Blogger Adam Kroeker said...

Apologies:

Rachel - By "future", I mean "past"

 
At 3:53 p.m., Blogger Adam Kroeker said...

I really don't know much about my future ahead of time other than I will probably not be a Portuguese lumberjack.

 
At 4:10 p.m., Blogger Dueck said...

Brilliant, Adam. Brilliant. I will see within a year, hopefully busking. See if you can sell antiques, as well.

 
At 5:32 p.m., Blogger Kelsey Loewen said...

I liked that story! For a minute there I didn't think this would be a happy ending, but rather an awkward one. Good on ya.

 
At 8:50 p.m., Blogger Adam Kroeker said...

Yes! Surpassed the 10 Comment mark for this post! (Although I guess half of them do come from me...)

 
At 10:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait..I still don't get the cartoon...spoons are nazi's? So am I a bad person if I eat soup? What about 'sporks'? are those ok?

 
At 11:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry my friend, I was trigger happy on the enter key

 

Post a Comment

<< Home