Adam's Beanstalk

A daily adventure-bag of insights and old bones from an unknown poet in Manitoba's south. Caveat: Not everything is to be taken literally. Things are often shaded with poetic crayons; be the owl. Also, not all these bones are collected from different fields. Find themes that run througout each post and the journal as a whole; the most insignificant event may be part of an ear.

Friday, May 26, 2006

A Coat of Many Colors

Sunday: I felt like going to Sunday School this morning, and it was good discussion with Kevin Friesen, Clinton Brandt, and Trevor Friesen. Then I was doing sound for church. I made a funny mistake - So Pastor George prays for the offering, and I look and see nobody sitting at the piano. If people play for offeratory, they ALWAYS sit at the piano beforehand to get their music ready. So I notice this, and doing prayer I frantically get a CD popped into the player so that something can be playing other than silence as the bags get passed around. I wait for three seconds after the prayer before pressing play. The beautiful viola strains of a hymn come playing over the speakers before I look to the stage - there is Arlin Scharfenberg with a horrified look on his face. I shut down the music and realize that they were just going to sing another song over the offering. I sheepishly hide in the booth.

Dinner at the grandparents is good. We have a choice of three leftover cakes from Grandma's birthday. Then we play some tabletop hockey - the poor blue centre always pops up so he fans on the puck.

In the evening I go over to Tracy's where I was dooped into drinking some of Maryanne's Mushroom Tea (beware all who visit the Siemen's household) - but it was actually pretty good. As an added bonus, all my wounds were instantly healed (this is not true). Then I was showed the jar where in the orange liquid this huge flat mushroom was floating much like one of those experimental pig foetuses.
Then we played a game of payday which lasted for a year and I made so much money my bank account was full, whereas Tracy hit a card that cut her savings in half. Oh - I almost forgot the funniest part of the evening. So we went downstairs and thought we'd maybe watch a movie. But of course it is mainly Trish who has bought the DVD's, and compiled a rather large collection - entirely of CHICK FLICKS! (No offense Trish). So we are forced to pick the worst of them all in the hopes of ridiculing it. "From Justin to Kelly" is put in and we skip scenes until we see one guy rapping over Justin's vocal beats. We watch this twice and then have had enough. But before we can shut it off Trish comes downstairs and starts making fun of OUR MOVIE CHOICE! Can you believe it?! The one who is ultimately responsible...
So we turned the TV to this infomercial of a greasy moustached man selling bowel cleanser. It was so disgusting - he graphically described a "healthy bowel movement the circumference of a human wrist". We were laughing so hard we did not hear how long this particular piece of stool was. And the woman beside him wore a black shirt with glittering stripes of many colors.

2 Comments:

At 7:36 p.m., Blogger Chelsea Rae said...

Adam, I can totally empathize with you talking about Trish's movie selection. Although you could've always opted for either "White Squall" with Billy Bob Thorton, or "Bodyguard" with Whitney Houston (I've seen both, when I said 'I don't want to watch a chick flick' and those were the only 2 options...). They're both kind of meh, but she probably wouldn't have laughed at you for watching it.

 
At 4:29 p.m., Blogger Dueck said...

Hey man, sorry to hear about the sound incident. If I'd been there, I would've laughed loudly.

BUT...
Showed? Dooped? English major?

On the other hand:
THAT INFOMERCIAL WAS HILARIOUS.

love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home