Adam's Beanstalk

A daily adventure-bag of insights and old bones from an unknown poet in Manitoba's south. Caveat: Not everything is to be taken literally. Things are often shaded with poetic crayons; be the owl. Also, not all these bones are collected from different fields. Find themes that run througout each post and the journal as a whole; the most insignificant event may be part of an ear.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Dinner at Woo's Cafe

It was Thursday last and the second day of Spring weather in Manitoba. The sun shone and dust was whipped up by the huffing wind. I, walking down the street, stopped at the Goodwill store to search for unique items. Indeed, I found a game called "Merryment", a game of acting and improvising medieval court cases. With this purchase in hand, I looked for something to eat. I went into Flying Pizza, which was serving "two large slices of pizza for $2.50". Looked pretty good. But upon going inside I realized the place was overrun with teenage hormones resulting in the unsettling feeling of being on the wrong side of the monkey cage. So onward I looked at another restaurant called "7 1/4" (or something close, please correct) which served "comfort food" (or something close, please correct). But I was not in the mood for scalloped lemon beef on worchesire bread (I made this up) for $10.00. And so I went to Woo's.
Woo's cafe is a corner restuarant which markets itself as something Chinese. That's why I was surprised upon entering to find it looked like a Chicken Chef. Looks like I was the only customer in the restaurant, as well. I walk up to the counter, which is a difficult task in itself. Because there is a LARGE AQUARIUM in the way! I supress my memories of Chinatown in West Edmonton mall and greet the chinese man (Woo?) who waits in a small window cut out of fake wood panelling. Woo, who is sporting a grey moustache, hands me a menu and says "Take Seat". So I go and sit down, browsing through the menu. Pretty good prices. A cheeseburger for $2.00. But I grow suspicious of the cheeseburger. I bet it's one of those mini-burgers or a burger that has a thicker patty of cheese than meat. I cannot take the risk. I look elsewhere on the menu: it's all American food! What is Woo trying to do here? For a minute I get Seinfeld-like aspirations and contemplate giving him some business advice. But I refrain, and turn my menu over. Yes! There, on the back, I see it! Something authentic - chinese style chicken noodle soup.
Now I wait... a waitress, or Woo himself, should be here any minute to take my order. 5 minutes pass. Okay--I guess I'll do it myself. Returning to the counter behind the aquarium I find Woo waiting patiently, and order the soup and a cup of water.
The soup was delicious, and in a giant chinese bowl, too. The water never came. Oh well, can't always get what you want.
And as I eat the soup I watch the television above the aquarium, and the news reporter speaks of the wonderful scientific find, the missing link, of the fish who crawled onto land. I take a look at the fish on the television, then to the large carp floating lazily in the aquarium. Maybe...

1 Comments:

At 11:35 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Adam
I must confirm that rumours of your great blog are true. I've enjoyed all the posts I've read. What kind of crayons are you using? I'm a fan of crayola myself. Adam you are the owl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home