Adam's Beanstalk

A daily adventure-bag of insights and old bones from an unknown poet in Manitoba's south. Caveat: Not everything is to be taken literally. Things are often shaded with poetic crayons; be the owl. Also, not all these bones are collected from different fields. Find themes that run througout each post and the journal as a whole; the most insignificant event may be part of an ear.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Rambler No. 4

Now the town melts away, now melts the town away, now away the town melts into a puddle of black leaves. Am I finding less things are happening? Is this why I have to write like this? Yesterday morning I woke up at ten in the morning. But I made it a good day by singing "The World is a Vampire" on the way to school. Why would you want to read this? Do you think my life is interesting? I'll tell you about class. We talked about Marxism and laughed that the capitalists have us under control so that we feel really rebellious when we wear the Che Guevara t-shirts and pink baseball caps - yes, we paid for them! And then I went to Logic class where I talked to the philosophy girls that hadn't been there for a while. This class is funny: this whole semester there have never been more than 5 people in the room. I should get working on it, i should get working on the -- railroad! Maybe, maybe, its time to put up a poem that I'm working on. It's going to be in a chapbook put out by our creative writing class. You can buy a copy from me for $5. It will be worth it. You can reserve a copy by simply posting a comment. You can also comment on the poem. I think I'll work on it a little more, so give me tips.

Give Us, O Bones, an Anthem
Adam Kroeker

Give us, O bones, an anthem
to provoke the Maple flag,
to give purpose to our triumphs,
forgetfulness to loss;
an anthem that the little child can play.

Keep strong the fearless soldier,
when he crashes on the banks,
when to the baritone bombardment
he adds his own refrain;
Refrain! Refrain! The children’s choir sings.

Here once a child playing,
building strongholds in the sand--
now to mine! and now to mortar!
onward press our nations’ men
--forgetful of the rising of the tide.

But we upon the beachhead
stare upon the score of men, holding guns
locked up with the cold that sing
an anthem that the little child can play.

3 Comments:

At 12:07 a.m., Blogger Rachel said...

i would like a chap book PLEASE.
r.

 
At 9:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the Che Guevara comment. I don't really like poems about war but you did it in a way I can like.

 
At 6:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warning: nothing good can come of that song! However, I would pay $5 for a book. Hey, Che Guevara is cool, don't knock him. Are you knocking him? I don't understand anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home