Adam's Beanstalk

A daily adventure-bag of insights and old bones from an unknown poet in Manitoba's south. Caveat: Not everything is to be taken literally. Things are often shaded with poetic crayons; be the owl. Also, not all these bones are collected from different fields. Find themes that run througout each post and the journal as a whole; the most insignificant event may be part of an ear.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Fun Things to Do With Your Big Toe

From Then to Now:

I have celebrated my birthday, with family. Got a darling homemade card from young cousin Carla, and a wonderful antique portable stove from the K. Grandparents. The other Grandparents had been working in Texas for a month, but made sure to arrive back exactly on my birthday, with lots of great clothes and a football slow cooker. From the parents I got some great fishing gear and a pile of postcard sized photo paper.

I have watched the olympics, with friends. By this I am referring in especial to the (markedly disheartening) Men's Hockey team match with Russia - a group of us sitting on high bar stools before the big screen TV in IQ's. The experience is enhanced by
a)the bleeps of Dance Dance revolution (from the room where we stole the stools)
b)the head of the tall man in the middle of the screen (we did eventually move)
c)the freezing arctic air coming from the ceiling vent(where we moved to)
d)the "OOOH's" of the hockey fans sitting on the couches and floor as if, I must reiterate, they were in a tippy canoe.

I have seen a man reading Dostoyevski while walking down the sidewalk. There must be a great meaning to this, but I have yet to discover it. If you have any ideas, please leave a comment.

I have received a blood blister on my big toe from playing soccer in socks (believe!). By soccer I mean a plush ball in ministick hockey nets on a rug floor. I remembered that I am a terrible soccer player, even in this miniature state.

I have poked my big toe with a sewing needle and watched the blood pour out in little squirts, like when coffee falls into the pot.

I have pokered my big blind in an online tournament.

I have managed to go an entire week without paying for parking.

I have written a great deal. Thanks for editing the poem, Trav. Yet though my work on the ski trip was entirely devoted to prep for the creative writing class, I realized that come Tuesday's class, I had not completed half of the assignments!

I have ordered in pizza and called before knowing my order, in an attempt to make a better decision through dialogue. And our fridge is probably still filled.

3 Comments:

At 3:20 p.m., Blogger Chelsea Rae said...

Yay Adam! I hope you had a spectacular birthday, it sounds like you did, from reading your post.
I didn't think I would enjoy watching hockey (especially since we lost), but that game was surprisingly enjoyable. Personally, my favorite moment was when Jason asked loudly after Russia's first goal: "Okay, how many people here are cheering for Russia?" and seeing about 35 angry faces turn towards him (The tippy canoe ranks a close second, if anyone's keeping track). Anyway, good blogging, it's very entertaining to read...

 
At 5:07 p.m., Blogger N.J. said...

What kind of assignments are there in your creative writing class? I've been thinking about taking a class like that, but if it's all poetry, I don't think I'd register... Lemme know please!

 
At 12:41 a.m., Blogger Adam Kroeker said...

Thank you all for posting. Posts make me happy. Nice call on the Russian comment Chelsea. And Neil - there is a lot more short story & novel work in the Creative Writing class than poetry. However, because I am in the advanced class, we can choose to focus on whatever we like, and I like poems. Most people do not. I imagine the intro class serves up a fairly equal mix of all writing forms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home