Adam's Beanstalk

A daily adventure-bag of insights and old bones from an unknown poet in Manitoba's south. Caveat: Not everything is to be taken literally. Things are often shaded with poetic crayons; be the owl. Also, not all these bones are collected from different fields. Find themes that run througout each post and the journal as a whole; the most insignificant event may be part of an ear.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Trip Day 5 (Green Runs and Lettuce)

And so this is the day that I went skiing. How did this come about? First of all I am ever gracious to Gabriella for letting me use her lift ticket. And to this may I add ski pants (which were probably more blue than purple). And then I rented some skis at the hill. Check. And then Karen waited for me so I wouldn't have to ride in the gondola alone, that was nice. Oh, and after the first few runs I needed Chad's neckwarmer - which certainly saved me from frostbite. Hey, and during the last run I used Joseph's goggles which made the world look like it was splashed with soya sauce. So thank you all, I couldn't have done it without you. If I forgot somebody, please leave a comment. It turns out I really loved skiing in the mountains. Much better than at La Riviere where getting off the ski lift is a black diamond in itself. Here there were some sweet runs where mucho speedo could be built up. One time I was following Karen through a gap in the trees but failed to realise that there was quite a large jump, followed by a small dip. I must have been going just a little slow so I hit the last part of the dip, causing one ski to sail off. But I just kept going with my one good ski with nary a problem, even bringing myself to a sliding stop. Another good story is when we were going to meet up with Paul Gregoire and company at the bottom of a run. Unfortunately, when Karen and I got to the bottom of the run, we didn't see them anywhere. "Maybe they are a little further down the hill!", thought us, and so we kept going. Well, we kept going, and kept going, until we realised that we were at the parking lot at the bottom of the hill. And then we had to take the 20 minute gondola ride back up again.
So after our day at the hill was done we headed into Banff once again for some sweet Korean food (see pictures on Chelsea's blog). This was meat cooked in trays on our very table, which we placed on a leaf of lettuce adding rice and sauce. Then the leaf was rolled over like a burrito and eating commenced, repeated twentyfold. And then some of us went to the English pub downstairs, which was cozy and surreal, and there were English soccer jerseys on the wall and Joel Braun was wearing soccer pajama pants which some of the girls in the pub liked. And there I learned that you cannot order some drinks in pitchers, but you can play early 90's dance music anywhere.

1 Comments:

At 7:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

lousy bartender didn't even know how to make a 'godfather', It's got two ingredients for crying out loud! Sorry, forgot this wasn't my blog...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home