Adam's Beanstalk

A daily adventure-bag of insights and old bones from an unknown poet in Manitoba's south. Caveat: Not everything is to be taken literally. Things are often shaded with poetic crayons; be the owl. Also, not all these bones are collected from different fields. Find themes that run througout each post and the journal as a whole; the most insignificant event may be part of an ear.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Who is on the Mexican Train?

Sunday, Sunday, what's a-happening?! 7:45 seems so early on a Sunday morning, yet normal the rest of the week. Why is this? Do you know who I saw after I woke up? Somebody had turned the channel to the service at the Church of the Rock, where the preacher with the flat hair was wearing a colorful striped sweater. And do you know who he was talking about? Satan, the prince of Darkness himself! Imagine that - talking about Satan while wearing a striped sweater! Foolhardy! He said that many people don't believe in Satan, but he plays an important role - if he didn't exist all our natural disasters would be God's fault. Well, now, Mr. Stripes, I think we are getting into that popular fallacy of 'if it's bad, look for the devil'. I'm not so sure that God gave Satan free control over the weather machine, and even if He did, we would still want to know why. Now I'm not about banishing the devil to myth - I do believe the dark forces can work on a human psyche - but let's just say the biblical Satan didn't ride on a thundercloud. Is it not demeaning to attribute to the Devil one of God's most awesome tools?
I am playing the role of Satan in one of the plays on our youth group's "Spring Tour" where we take a charter bus across western Canada performing skits and music. It is in the classic play, "The Fence" where several people walk along a hypothetical fence trying to decide whether they want the perks offered by God, on one side, or myself on the other. It ends with the ba-ba-ba epiphany, "The fence belongs to Satan". Have you read the Robert Frost piece about fences. I read it once in a little anthology of Pocket Verse. I remember good things about it.
Today was a good day for bonding with the brothers. In the afternoon I went to watch Jimi play hockey in the new Morris Arena (trust me, it's not like the MTS Centre), where they smacked the Morris team 13-3. Also, in the evening, I let my other brother Chase cut my hair, as he has some interest in the art, and I was in need of a trim. Sometimes telling people of a haircut before you see them is like ruining a surprise birthday party, so I apologize to all readers. I think he did a pretty good job.
After witnessing a round of Mexican Train dominoes and having a great feast at the Loewen grandparents, renewing our Sunday tradition after they returned, I watched some of the Olympics closing ceremony. My goodness - watching clowns with drumsets dance to 'YMCA' may be the creepiest thing ever. And what was with that guy dressed up like the Burger King mascot? And whos bright idea was it to give the athlete's red clown noses to put on? Geez, make the best sportsmen in the world look like fools. I'm sure the ancient greeks would approve. Not! (Yes, I pulled out the 'Not!' Hate me!) But then, after the circus stopped and the athletes sat down, who comes out onto the stage but our new friend Satan, who plays a giant dragon-harp that shoots fire! This to the strange chorus of children dressed up as angels and demons and then men with wheels of fire on their backs and I get a feeling like Ezekiel's vision and I see the seraphs with their wings covering there eyes and they say Holy Holy Holy but the dragon is still spewing fire even though it is a harp and a harp should be praising and not all children are saints or are even saved for some are demons and what do we do with that how does that fit in to our orthodoxy but this is not our orthodoxy this is Italy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home