Adam's Beanstalk

A daily adventure-bag of insights and old bones from an unknown poet in Manitoba's south. Caveat: Not everything is to be taken literally. Things are often shaded with poetic crayons; be the owl. Also, not all these bones are collected from different fields. Find themes that run througout each post and the journal as a whole; the most insignificant event may be part of an ear.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Through My Window I Can See the Frame

It feels good to have the windows open in Spring.

Except:

1) It seems Travis is allergic to something mysterious. When the windows are open I often hear him sneeze five or more times in a row. There are no good numbers beyond four, so this is a bad sign indeed. Luckily, symptoms have been improving as of late.

2) Once faint outside noises are now loud. This means you, seagulls! Also, one day something must have reverberated in the garbage bin outside the window and I thought a bomb had gone off, or a train had fallen off of a bridge. It was quite possibly the most frightening thing I had ever heard. I sat at the window for over five minutes wondering whether or not I should grab an armful of soup cans from the pantry to weather the nuclear winter. I am not joking when I say this. After five minutes, I heard an ambulance driving down the road. This did not help.

3) Because the windows have not been opened for the greater part of a year, a number of dead insects have accumulated between the panes (imagine them as the crumbly graham layer on the bottom of a cake). Included in this collection are dead flies (now just black exoskeletons) and dead ladybugs (did you know they turned white?). (I did not, but I tried to take a picture of one today because it looks immaculate!). Anyways, it was monday afternoon and I was reading on my futon-a-bed, enjoying the crisp breeze. All of the sudden, however, a sharp gust of wind swept from the streets of Osbourne through my very screen. Looking up, I realized that this wind has tossed up a fly skeleton, and it was flying right towards me! I could not move. I could not run. Defeated, I watched the rigid carapace fall into my lap as if I were an offering plate. Fie!

It is April 19th (Happy Birthday Shane) and Springtime in Winnipeg. Needless to say, my windows are now closed.

4 Comments:

At 12:44 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like Winnipeg is rolling out the welcome mat for you. I can very much relate to your experiences with the window open. At least you and Travis aren't on the ground floor because cars seemingly enjoy flying through apartment windows as well. Perhaps the fly was sign...

 
At 9:02 a.m., Blogger Adam Kroeker said...

oh no! don't say it James! If we get a car through the second storey window, I blame you!

 
At 4:10 p.m., Blogger Leah said...

ADAM! I PASSED BY WOO'S CAFE YESTERDAY! I THOUGHT IT WAS A MADE UP PLACE, BUT IT ISN'T!!!

And tell Shanerama happy b-birthday for me. I think people with blond hair should get black hair instead of white as a sign of age. OH MAN! OLD PEOPLE WOULD BE SO COOL LOOKING IF THAT HAPPENED. Black haired and white haired people. AWESOME.

 
At 11:58 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adam just checked out your music and I'd have to say that 'mother nature's dead' is my favorite. 'Reflections' is pretty good too. The other stuff sounded a little too 'church-y" for me. But hey, what do I know?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home